Wednesday, November 24, 2010

On detachment...and change...

"One great mean of detaching our heart from earthly things is to change our employment often: we become attached unconsciously and take root as we easily see by the difficulty we have in changing our usual customs. To have to leave a place where we are known and have friends is like a kind of death. A thought that will help us to bear these separations bravely is that God goes with me everywhere: I shall find the same Lord where I am going as I have here; from this point of view, there is no separation. I shall find the same God there as I pray to here, the same God who knows me, loves me, and whom I long to love."
--St. Claude de la Colombiere, Spiritual Notes, Lyons (1674).
**The Spiritual Direction of St. Claude de la Columbiere, Translated and arranged by Mother M. Philip, I.B.V.M., The Bar Convent, NY.(1934); Ignatius Press,San Fransisco, (1998).

No comments:

Post a Comment